D&D 4th Edition: 40 Days and Counting
It's 40 days till the D&D 4th Edition Worldwide Gameday on June 7th, 2008. That's just 1.3 months, or just over 5.5 weeks, or 6 Battlestar Galactica episodes away. It's very, very soon.
To celebrate this significant countdown milestone before the momentous occasion, Wizards of the Coast has started to post 4th Edition feature preview articles at an accelerated rate. They used to trickle in amongst the D&D Miniatures stories, and D&D 3.5 content. But lately that's changed.
Things kick off with a CNET preview of the upcoming source materials, including the Players Handbook, Dungeon Master Guide, and the Monster Manual. Following which are a series of excerpts of the Player's Handbook source material and rules. The individual articles are below, each one is chalk full of great content from class statistics, monster backstories, and rules mechanics.
The only thing that has us skeptical at this point are the D&D Insider tools. Sure it includes everything you'll need to design your adventures and play within a clean virtual environment, but they don't expect all of us to either a) have our own laptop, or b) all huddle around one laptop, do they? That's just crazy talk.
There's always the old fashioned way, we suppose.
Here are the official 4th Edition Exceprts:
- Devil [link]: A close look at those red hot pointy eared beasties from the Nine Hells of the Astral Sea, which sounds quite similar to the sights, sounds and emotions of the 2 hour line at the Teacup Ride at Disney World.
- Tiers of Play [link]: This article takes excerpts from both the Dungeon Master Guide and the Player's Handbook to detail the standard tiers your adventures will achieve throughout gameplay: the Heoroic, Paragon Tier, and Epic Tier
- The Phane [link]: Living weapons created during an ancient cosmic war, these guys manipulate time to install chaos among mortals.
- Customizing Monsters [link]: A primer and example on how a DM can tailor a monster's stats to fit all your encounter needs
- The Warlord [link]: An indepth look at the new Warlord Class, who's commanding presence buffs nearby allies.
- Paragon Paths [link]: Details on the new take on customizing characters beyond the normal class specializations ( aka: old school prestige classes)
- Powers [link]: Everything you need to know on how to read and resolve the new Power rules, including charms, stance powers, illusions, and healing.
- Angels [link]: And finally a complementary article to the details on devils, this article looks at the Angels creature type, including example 'monster' stats and backstories.
Every time we read new info about D&D 4th edition it just keeps sounding better. The Early June launch day is only a short time away but it's going to be a killer wait. We'll let you know as soon as the Players Handbook ships to stores!
Read More in: Gaming News | RPGs
Share this Article with others:
Came straight to this page? Visit Critical Gamers for all the latest news.
Posted by Critical Gamers Staff at April 28, 2008 5:00 PM